Thursday, November 15, 2007

That $100 barrel of oil.

A number of items melded (melded?) in my computer in the past couple days. I thought you'd find them interesting. First, I think the cartoon shown is one of the most personally touching I've seen re oil/gas prices. Second, I was struck by a section of a recent article by Bob Cesca, a very leftist writer who alleges that, in his words, American patriotism is being crushed by Republican SUVs. Third, I found one of the old car pool posters he refers to in my antique ad file.

"During World War II, to which the Bush Wars have been falsely compared by everyone wingnut-shaped, your government created posters urging conservation of gasoline for the good of the war effort. The messages were simple: using gasoline for your meaningless bullshit meant less gasoline for the boys in Europe and the Pacific. It was the patriotic thing to do."

















1 comment:

Carl said...

Upon further consideration, I'd like to add that, during WWII, most Americans didn't own a car or depend on a car as heavily for daily transportation as we do today. Ergo, it was easier to cut back on one's use of a car back then. True, gas was less than two bits a gallon. But incomes were under $3000 a year and decent homes sold for less than ten grand. Ergo: comparing then with now is a stretch.